Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Review - Bravely Default



Released - 2|7|14

Platform - 3DS


Summary
Four strangers meet and have to save the world and defeat bad guys and wait haven't we played this game before?

Opinions
Now while the summary may sound a bit snarky, don't misunderstand - I freaking love this game. While it's supposed to be a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy The 4 Heroes of Light, which I only played about ten minutes of before getting super bored, I find it as more of a successor to Final Fantasy III.

Bravely Default features a turn based combat style with use of the Brave and Default systems. Brave let's you use up to four negative turns in advance, allowing you to make several moves at once while sacrificing future moves leaving you vulnerable. Default allows you to defend and save up to four moves so you don't have to be in the negative when Braving. This game also features a job system where a character mains in one job and subclasses the moves of another. Characters also unlock passive abilities according to class and can equip these regardless of the current class.

I'm gonna super vague so I don't give away spoilers, but the story was definitely interesting. I know some didn't figure it out for a while, and while I figured out most of it there were a couple things I would not have known had Dae not confirmed my suspicions and pointed out an important detail I failed to notice. However, I did read the 200 page journal given to you at the beginning of the game so I think that was a big part of it. Unfortunately, the game gets repetitive towards the end which really hurts it. Also, I feel I should mention that the game features two endings - one you can get about halfway through the game which is seen as more of the 'bad' ending and a true ending you get from completing the story.

Final Thoughts
While it does get repetitive towards the end, this game is really amazing and if you are a fan of older Final Fantasy games you will especially enjoy this. The art is beautiful, the music is amazing (as per usual), and the gameplay is just plain fun! I hate hate hate grinding, but I leveled all my characters and jobs just because I wanted to. Seriously, give this game a shot.

Score - 8/10

~ Zephyr ♥

Bravely is actually one of my favorite games to come out in 2014. I also got the collector's edition of it so you can check out the unboxing here. I look hideous as per usual :P

No comments:

Post a Comment