Thursday, January 29, 2015

Review - Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix



Released - 12|2|14

Platform - PS3


Summary
Play through the previously Japan only Final Mix editions of Kingdom Hearts II and Birth By Sleep updated with beautiful HD graphics.

Opinions
Look, there is no way that this won't be a biased review. This is literally a single disc with my two favorite games on it. KHII is first, BBS is a close second. I love these games and this series to death. Also, since this is pretty much 2.5 (see what I did there?) games put together, this will have more abrupt reviews than usual.

Kingdom Hearts II is the main title sequel and the fifth game chronologically. It picks up two years after Chain of Memories and follows Sora, Donald, and Goofy as they search for Riku, unlock and lock a bunch of worlds' keyholes, and beat up Organization XIII members. This game is a bit easier than the other games in the series. Flaw-wise, it has you going to each world at least twice and unless you're healing magic is pretty useless. Neither of those things bother me, but I can see why there flaws. The biggest flaw in my opinion is the long ass tutorial. I understand it has story and stuff and I love KH's story, but seriously it is boring and unnecessarily long.

The big differences between the original game and those found in the Final Mix version are as follows - Critical mode (harder than Proud), new story scenes, new drive called Limit Form with the growth ability Dodge Roll, a new collection side quest, 20 new bosses, and new abilities and equipment.

Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep is the main title prequel - Kingdom Hearts 0, if you will- and the first game chronologically. Taking place ten years before Kingdom Hearts, BBS follows Terra, Ventus, and Aqua - three young keyblade wielders who have to deal with the appearance of the Unversed in various worlds. While having similar combat style to the other games in series, BBS has the use of the command deck. The deck holds either physical moves or magic, in contrast to the magic bar in other games. Worlds are revisited in this game, but as different characters in each of the three storylines.

The big differences between the original game and those found in the Final Mix version are as follows - Critical mode, new quest, new commands and command style, new command board, new d. link, new race track, new beat song, new keyblades, new bosses, and a new playable secret scene.

The Re: Coded movie is...meh. I mean, Re: Coded isn't a great game as it so you would prolly only like the movie if you're a big KH fan.

Final Thoughts
Like I said, these are my favorite games ever, but I also think that newcomers and skeptics alike will enjoy this game duo. Seriously, just give it a chance.

Score - 9.5/10

~ Zephyr ♥

Well, I didn't give it a ten because of the movie mainly. I would prolly give KHII a 8-8.5 and BBS a 9 separately. Though BBS gets a higher rating because I don't think it has as many flaws as KHII, KHII is still my favorite ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment