Thursday, February 5, 2015

Review - Bayonetta 2




Released - 10|24|14

Platform - Wii U


Summary
Because we all know you didn't get enough of her in the first game, get ready for a sequel that is literally better in every way.

Opinions
So look, I'm not the biggest fan of the first game. Maybe it's because I was in a bad and super ragey and I just need to replay it. Maybe it's because I didn't play it when it first came out. I don't know, but I'll tell you one thing - I don't feel the same about this one.

Bayonetta 2 follows the same formula as the first - shoot and beat things up, string it into massive combos, and watch the gore unfold. And it works. The sequel polishes everything the original offered, making Bayonetta's combos flow in an absolutely graceful way. Dodging at the last second gives you Witch Time, slowing down time and rewarding you with combo carnage. It seems much more rewarding than in the previous game. The new addition to fighting is the Umbran Climax, a full magic bar move that powers you up and then unleashes a demon summon. This provides more range than the Torture moves and is overall just a better, allowing you to take utter command the second your bar is full.

Don't get me wrong, this game is still brutal. Unlike the first game. the action hardly ever stops here and it sure doesn't give you much time to catch your breath. And the unrelenting battles mixed with the still ridiculously cheesy story give it just the right amount of juxtaposition to make it right. And when you beat the campaign there are still plenty of challenges and an online co-op mode for you to complete. Plus, the ability to have an AI bot do co-op with you is much appreciated, especially by those whose friends haven't gone to the Wii U yet.

Final Thoughts
Everything in this game is colorful and beautiful designed, from the characters to the gameplay to the environments. It's polished to perfection and it may have just reached the pinnacle of action games. For now, anyways.

Score - 9.5/10

~ Zephyr ♥

Look, I understand that a lot of people don't care about the amount of sexualisation in these games. I know people will think I'm either a prude or a hypocrite with the amount of anime I watch. And I get where people are coming from when they say it empowers her. I am all for women being sexy badass motherf**kers who own it. And that's what Bayonetta does! I think her existence as the boss MC in this proves it. So why do we need to see crotch shots and the like? Because in my opinion that sure as hell does not empower her. And it really sucks because she is like embodiment of sexy female empowerment in games.

No comments:

Post a Comment